Nov 4, 2010
Twitter has released an update for their Android application, bringing it to version 1.0.5. It seems most social mongers have gone the route of using apps – like Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, etc. – that have the ability to manage multiple social accounts, but if you are a lone wolf like myself and still using the Twitter app here is what’s new and improved:
- Promoted tweets in search. Searching for a topic will return promoted tweets if there are any.
- Speed improvement for Timeline/lists. Scrolling Tweets is lot smoother now.
- About, Privacy & Terms added to Settings. Go to Home -> Settings -> About to see what version of Twitter for Android you are running.
- Quote/Retweet confirmation dialog. The user has the option to either Retweet, Quote, or cancel when tapping on the retweet icon.
- Cleaner timeline.
- Tweet details. Tap a tweet to view its details.
- Tweet actions in search results (retweet, favorite, share, reply).
- Pull-to-refresh. From the top of a list, pull down and release to refresh the list.
- Swipe to reveal. From your timeline, fling a Tweet left or right to reveal actions underneath.
- Inline maps. Open a tweet with a geolocation to view a map inline with its content.
- Search results now contain top tweets.
- Page break. If you haven’t refreshed in a while, you may see a page break in your timeline. Tap the page break to load tweets.
Anyone notice what they did not add in this update? Bring back our bird! I have put off updating my Twitter app because I didn’t want to lose my cute adorable blue bird but I’m thinking I have no choice now. A few other sought after features such as auto-complete and multi-account support are still missing but this is still a great update for those who only need to access a single Twitter account.